Weighty Wednesday

Some of you know the dreadful word OBESE was applied to me.

Large fat deposits over the chest, back, tail base and hindquarters. The abdomen sags prominently and there is no waist when viewed from above. 

Yep, that was me. Now I am pleased to announce I am merely overweight.

Ribs and spine are hard to feel underneath fat. Distended or pear-shaped waist when viewed from above. The abdomen sags when seen from the side. 

While this is healthier than being obese, I am still committed to losing the extra pounds and getting as close to my ideal weight 7 pounds as possible. I currently weigh 14 pounds.

I am eating Hill's® Prescription Diet®Feline Metabolic Advanced Weight Solution and I only get 1/4 cup in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening of the dry food. I also has my food put in a puzzle feeder.

I really enjoy having to earn my supper. Sometimes I don't eat all my food and wait until Mommy closes all the compartments back as soon as she does I rush to open them again and eat.

While it is important for overweight or obese cats to lose weight it is equally important that they do it slowly. If you cat is obese or overweight talk to your veterinarian about a weight loss plan for them.

It’s really dangerous for a cat to not eat for a couple of days, says Dr. Marshall. “They can get fatty liver syndrome (hepatic lipidosis), which can cause them to go into liver failure.” Weight loss that’s too fast could also bring about inflammatory responses in the lungs and joints or hypoglycemia. Instead Dr. Marshall suggests that a cat initiate a gradual weight loss program and only after a veterinarian has checked the cat out for underlying diseases. -

Five Ways to Help Your Cat Slim Down

Besides cutting my calories I am exercising more. Remember Diet and Exercise are key to losing weight safely. 

~Scylla, reporting for ATCAD


16 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I think you are doing awesomely sticking to your program, Scylla!

easyweimaraner said...

I cross my paws that you will reach your goal, diets are not Easy, I know, but sometimes we have to be strong... btw: I have the same title for my post today too... but the one who needs some Hill's is my momma :o)
Easy Rider

Marilia said...

I am purring for your diet will be easy and efective!
Kisses

Hailey and Zaphod and their Lady said...

Congrats on the weight loss!

Fuzzy Tales said...

We're crossing our paws, too, that you reach your goal, or at least close to it. We've been on food restriction since the summer and sometimes the human thinks Derry has lost some weight, other times she's not sure. LOL. (No small scale to weigh us.)

Good luck!

Jenna said...

We like plump kitties around here but 14 pounds is too much. We're sending purrs and crossed fingers that you are a slimmer kitty one of these days :-)

Pee Ess: I wonder if they have some of that Hill's prescription food for humans? The human doesn't have much luck with her dieting :-(

Katie Isabella said...

Scylla, I am VERY VERY proud of you and your mommy because I know it may have been hard for your mommy to say no sometimes in the beginning. xxooxx

da tabbies o trout towne said...

scylla....total lee awesum !! keep up de grate werk...we bee veree proud oh ewe ♥♥

N bee for we forgetz if we haz knot all reddy sended thiz:

hope yur christmas tree.....
ree manez burd free.....

sendin R card.....
ee lect tron ick lee.....

a verree merree Christmas.....
a happee mew yeer two .....

frum all oh uz in trout towne.....
we loves ewe XXXXX

Brian's Home Blog said...

You can do it beautiful Scylla!!!

pilch92 said...

Good job! I need a human feeder like that for me :)

A Tonl said...

Keep going, Scylla! We'd rather they focus on YOU than ME! (although I have lost almost 2 pounds in 6 months!) ~Allie

The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

You are doing a great job Scylla...keep up the good work!!
Smileys!
Dory, Jakey, Arty & Bilbo

Marty the Manx said...

Scylla we are so excited for you! We think that you are looking GORGEOUS!!!! Lots of luvs!
Marty and the Gang

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

"Fat" is so much better than "amazingly obese"!

The Swiss Cats said...

Well done, Scylla, keep on ! Purrs

Meezer's Mews & Terrieristical Woofs said...

Great!
Now I need to get some weight off...Pipo thinks to himself...I am not svelte any more...sigh...
Maybe I can transplant it into Minko who is so gaunt...