Deadly Prank

First off I don't think throwing eggs at cars should be dismissed as harmless fun or commonplaced misbehavior. Maybe if these children had been taught to respect the property of others this young man would still be alive. Cars are expensive very few people would be OK with their expensive car being messed up. Still running the boys down and shooting at them was an over reaction. They should have been caught by the POLICE and had their butts thrown in detention as well as having to make financial restitution for the damage they caused to the cars, not killed.

It was the sort of commonplace misbehavior that raises blood pressure across the nation's roads: kids, out after midnight, egging cars along a busy thoroughfare. This time, though, the mischief turned deadly. The driver of a targeted gray Jeep barreled after the boys and someone inside pulled a gun, firing multiple shots that killed 14-year-old Danny Crawford.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never had eggs thrown at my car. I wonder how scary that could be, to be driving along in the dark and have stuff start hitting the car. That's not to excuse someone shooting, though maybe it seemed like someone was shooting at them.

Very sad story. Such a prank should't have a death penalty attached to it. It's a good example of unintended consequences of our actions - something we talk about with our kids a lot. I sure hope when my boy is a teen he doesn't find his fun by vandalizing property and putting himself and others in danger. Anything - even tomatoes, I suppose - hitting a car could scare/startle the driver and cause an accident.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I imagine it's very scary. I had a rock fly up off the road and hit my car and it was very frightening. You made a good point that what these kids see as "fun" could cause a serious accident. And I am sure the kids don't realize the damage eggs or tomatoes will do to a cars paint job.