Parental Involvement

Principled Discovery has an interesting post Parental involvement in the tween years . She makes some excellent points.
Unfortunately, many of these after-school programs are increasingly viewed as "opportunities" for children, rather than the glorified babysitting service that they really are.
It's really sad that "family time" isn't viewed as an opportunity anymore. I have noticed among my friends that more and more their children are being dropped off somewhere so Mom & Dad can have some free time after the kids get home from public school. Usually with the prefix that such and such is such a wonderful opportunity for little Joe or Sue. Children need their parents, tweens especially need to spend time with their families. Honestly can't that game of bridge, night at the casino etc. wait until the children are grown?

2 comments:

Angela said...

I have always been baffled by this...but it is just more evidence that society is discouraging family time. If parents are busy running all over the place, the kids never get to decompress, or learn to enjoy their family. My homeschooled kids can get to feeling as if they are doing too much, so you can imagine how easily that can happen with busy public school kids.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We are feeling very frazzled with soccer practice, soccer games and holiday activities, so I can't imagine throwing public school into the mix. I realize the kids are out for the holidays, but that means babysitters/some activity for most public school parents, because they are still at work and need somewhere for their kids to go, so someone else can look after them.

Most of the women I know would love to be stay at home Mom's, it's so sad that society as a whole doesn't value Motherhood anymore. And that to make ends meet often both parents have to work.