Daniel Webster


Daniel Webster was born in Salisbury, N.H., January 18, 1782

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, he looks like a friendly fella. He’s just oozing warmth!

Anonymous said...

I was reading a Time article (http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1579707,00.html) about the new HPV vaccine and how, in Kentucky (and elsewhere?) they are adding it to the required immunization list. Of course some Fundie groups are opposing it for the obvious “If you raise the little angels in a godly way, they will stay pure and won’t need it” reasons. Anyway, in the middle I came across this little blurb and wondered what your reaction would be:

“The Home School Legal Defense Association, a national legal and political advocacy group that fought the bill in Michigan and is opposing the effort in Kentucky and elsewhere, says the bill is simply too intrusive.

"It's very offensive to parents," said Christopher Klicka, a senior attorney with the legal association. "They have to have their young daughters, as young as 10, immunized against a sexually transmitted disease. The home-schoolers, some of them have religious objections. But others just think it is misguided. There may be a real problem out there, but they should deal with the kids that have the problem, and not all the innocent children who wouldn't even think about anything close to sexual contact. It simply oversteps the line."

I don’t know if you’re affiliated with this group or not, but you’ve become my de facto source for home school related issues, so I naturally thought of this blog.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Yeah, it was kinda a scary picture. My Great-Uncle was named after him.

I don't have much time, but I wanted to reply to your ? I often disagree with H$LDA, and I am not a member. It really rubs me the wrong way when they claim to represent homeschoolers, they do not represent all of us. A lot of the Christian Groups scare you into joining HSLDA, claiming if the government comes after you H$LDA will protect you and calling it homeschooling insurance (it's not).

As for the HPV vaccine I don't have a problem with it as long as it's safe. I read something somewhere about there may be medical issues with it. I'll try to find it and do a post on it later. After all life happens, little angels grow up. I would much rather my child be protected from cervical cancer.

Some homeschoolers (a small minority) have a problem with all vaccines. And link some vaccines to autism.

Anonymous said...

“Some homeschoolers (a small minority) have a problem with all vaccines. And link some vaccines to autism.”

Yeah, not just home schoolers, but idiots of all stripes. This is one of the more common forms of “woo” out there. There is no evidence for his, and IMHO the parents should be held directly responsible for each and every illness and death that results from them withholding these often life saving treatments from their children. It’s child abuse, plain and simple – and ‘simple’ also describes those who believe this bogus vaccine-autism link.