Chinese New Year


PEAK Gulf Coast is celebrating the Chinese New Year, February 19th and Sheri at Wisdom Home Academy has some recipes, and a unit study to share on this very topic.



One of the most enjoyable aspects of homeschooling is getting together with our fellow homeschoolers to participate in various activities. We had a great time at the Dia de los Muertos party in November, the Renaissance Fair and the field trip to the Gulf Coast Exploreum Science Center to view the exhibit Mummy- The Inside Storey (I can't wait to go see Pompeii). Not only do these activities allow us to learn new things we also have the opportunity to make new friends and visit with old ones.


But what do you do when your social calendar is over booked? At the moment I am looking forward to a day when Lord Epa and I have nowhere to go and nothing to do and we can enjoy some down time at home. But I always feel slightly guilty when I turn down an opportunity to do something especially IF it's educational. Thus I often find myself overbooked and burnt out. Thank goodness for summer vacations.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to go back and forth on this as well. It is so hard to find a balance. When we stay home too much, the kids are grumpy and bicker. When we are always running, I am grumpy and bicker.;) A formula that works for us is no more than two field trips/parties a month. Plus, we try to take one day a month as recharging day to read, watch DVD's and relax. It doesn't often work out perfectly, but it is a good way to weed out ALL the opportunities out there and only select the very best.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I think part of our problem is all the doctors visits and physical therapy Lord Epa is doing at the moment, on top of our regular homeschool activities.

Not to mention we have COLDS so the idea of spending the day in BED reading sounds wonderful. Alas we have physical therapy today, so no such luck.

Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. I fall into a trap every year with this - too many activities! We try to keep it balanced, but there are so many great opportunities. We do the best we can.

Love the butterfly pointer!