On 11 February 2007 hundreds of congregations from all portions of the country and a host of denominations will come together to discuss the compatibility of religion and science. For far too long, strident voices, in the name of Christianity, have been claiming that people must choose between religion and modern science. More than 10,000 Christian clergy have already signed The Clergy Letter demonstrating that this is a false dichotomy. Now, on the 198th anniversary of the birth of Charles Darwin, many of these leaders will bring this message to their congregations through sermons and/or discussion groups. Together, participating religious leaders will be making the statement that religion and science are not adversaries. And, together, they will be elevating the quality of the national debate on this topic.
This is wonderful!!!!! Alas there is only one church listed in Mississippi taking part.
2 comments:
I happen to know that a few others will be taking part in some capacity, if nothing else, they’ll mention it in their sermon/homily. The priest at The Wife’s church (Trinity Episcopal in Hattiesburg) is actually a former research biologist (how one can go from that to a priest is so beyond me I’ll never know) and he said he was going to talk about it. He has even signed the Clergy Letter Project. Obviously the Episcopal churches are your best bet if your looking for one, followed, I suppose by Lutherans. I imagine if you emailed some of those in your area, you would find a few who plan to participate.
Thanks Butch. I know my pastor has no problem with evolution, but rather he will mention it or not I don't know. He confessed that he doesn't bring up a lot of stuff he personally believes because the majority of the congregation (which is mostly older folks) would be upset.
Post a Comment