Should The Elderly Be Barred From Driving?

After an 84-year-old driver plowed through an elementary school lunchroom this week, killing an 8-year-old boy, his mother pressed lawmakers to bar the elderly from getting behind the wheel.


It seems whenever an elderly person or teen is involved in an accident the immediate reaction is to bar that age group from driving. But not all 84 year olds are the same, and neither are all teens.
Advocacy groups for the elderly urge states not to overreact to each incident, noting that accidents happen in every age group and that taking away an older person's license could rob them of their independence.

Often loss of a drivers license would mean being stuck isolated at home in rural areas. Do we really want to do that to our elderly?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've blogged about this once or twice before. As a resident of a town that retirees flock to, I can say that I am for some sort of regulations.

There is nothing worse than an aging driver that can't see and literally can't see over the steering wheel. Offer free transportation maybe.