Monday I took Whiskers the Supreme Ruler of the Universe to the Veterinarian's for his annual shots. He seemed to be OK other then a slightly snotty nose. Monday evening I could tell he didn't feel good but I assumed it was because of "the shots". By Tuesday night it was obvious he was very sick. We took him back to the Veterinarian's Wed. morning and they kept him overnight and treated him for an upper respiratory infection. We brought him home Thursday, but he was miserable Thursday night and acting odd. He wouldn't eat or drink anything. He pawed at his water and splashed it all over and he kept getting in the bath tub. We took him back to the Veterinarian's and she did a test for kidney function. She discovered he was in the early stages of kidney failure.

2 comments:
That is rough. I don't know much about the process of a kidney shutting down. Once on the path is there any chance the kidney will stop shutting down?
According to the vet NO. Apparently this had been going on for awhile and we didn't know about it. The Vet even missed it at his checkup because he looked healthy and was active and alert. But she said he had lost 75% of his kidney function.
We had the option of bringing him home and keeping him on an IV and "maybe" keeping him alive for a few more weeks, but he was miserable. She gave him an injection and he peacefully died in our arms
I asked about dialyses but apparently they don't do it for pets. There is a place doing experimental kidney transplants, but she said they probably wouldn't do it in a cat as old as Whiskers, who was 10. And that it would be a couple of thousand IF they would do it. And of course their would have been the chance of rejection.
Even though she said their was no way we could have known and that there was nothing we could do I still feel guilty for not realizing he was sick sooner.
Post a Comment