Whiskers The Supreme Ruler of the Universe


Where do I start he completely enslaved us from day one, and has been part of my life for half my marriage.

Whiskers was Shining Celebi's Christmas present when he was 6 or 7. We found Whiskers through the YMCA Pet Shelter, he was being fostered by one of their volunteers. Whiskers picked Shining Celebi the minute we walked in the door. From the pictures I have of him you can't tell, but he was a Hemingway Cat (Polydact). He often used his extra toes like a thumb to open things. Cabinet doors weren't safe from the Supreme Ruler of the Universe.

He was probably the sweetest natured cat I have ever know. He refused to scratch the kids even when they pulled his tail. He just meowed for "Mommy" to come rescue him from their clutches.

He loved sitting in my lap especially when I had the heated throw on. It became his blanket. He spent most of the winter inside as he hated cold weather but come spring he was eager to go out. He loved sitting on the picnic table, jungle gym or my lounge chair in the sun. He also followed us around the yard. He really enjoyed being with his family.

He was also a very social cat. He adopted a dog we named Jello, until his owners came back for him. He also adopted all the stray kittens we brought home. I loved watching him teach Socks and Squallin’ Baby to hunt, and the way he looked after Mellon Head until her owner was found.

I miss him so much. I keep expecting to hear him claw at the door to be let in or see him sitting in the window waiting for someone to notice and let him in. He seldom meowed although he did say "mout" when he wanted to go out. My world is diminished due to the lack of a small black fatcat who brought so much joy and love to my heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I have been behind in my blog reading. I am so very sorry for your loss. The story is just heart-breaking. Whiskers sounds like such an amazing cat! Thank you for sharing stories about him. I hope you and the family are holding up. Losing a pet is so hard, as they fill our homes with love just by being there. Thinking of you, dear!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Thanks Angela, he truly was amazing and is missed so very much by all of us. We are planning a butterfly garden around his grave-site as a tribute.