Boycott Procter and Gamble

Due to the mishandling of the pet food recall my family and I will be boycotting P&G. I have just finished emailing them my intentions, and I sincerely hope that you will consider joining me in the boycott.

You can click here to find a list of P&G's products. You may buy more products owned by P&G then you think, they don't put the P&G logo on everything.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss of Whiskers. It is a tragedy that this happened.

You mention in this post that you will be boycotting Procter & Gamble. Looking through your blog, I am curious why that is, since I think this is the first time they are mentioned in your blog that I could find. It sounded like you did not feed your cat Iams or Eukenuba and all of your posts reference Menu Foods, which was the supplier at fault. Why boycott P&G versus any other manufacturer of pet food?

I am an employee of P&G in Cincinnati, but am not directly involved in the pet care business. My knowledge on the recall is probably far less than yours, since I have a dog and feed him IAMS but only dry food which was not part of the recall.

I just wanted to try and understand how my company could have handled this difficult situation better than they did. Not sure who it might go to (we have 110,000 employees), but if there is some actionable feedback, I'd like to try and get that to the right people.

We as a company care deeply about pets and completely understand the fact that they are part of your family. Anything that impacts the trust you have in us that we want only what is best for your pet needs to be resolved as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your time and again, my deepest condolences.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Here's why
When this recall escapes the collective minds of the public, Menu Foods will continue to make and sell its wet pet foods under the Iams’ brand.

http://www.itchmo.com/read/menu-foods-exclusive-contract-with-iams-until-2013_20070319

Anonymous said...

That's for taking the time to share that with me. As I mentioned, since I am not directly involved with the Pet Care business and my first pet since childhood is only 8 months old, this is all very new to me and I am learning as I go.

I would guess that the recall itself might not be grounds for breach of contract, but the way the information and the recall has been handled might be. I don't know if we are currently reviewing that ten year contract, but given the way we typically do business in difficult situations like this, I would guess we would be. Based on the information I have, Menu Foods has not handled itself up to our standards or the standards we try to hold our partners to.

I will see if I can find any additional information of use and if I can, I'll share it with you.

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts and the reasons.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

You are welcome Michael and I would be very interested in any information you could provide.

Many pet owners myself included were unaware Menu Foods even existed until the recall. Frankly I was surprised by the number of brands manufactured by Menu Foods. I always assumed that each brand made their own food in their own plant. Now I know better.

I would like to see who the actual maker of the pet food is be included on all labels and where the ingredients came from. Knowing that foreign countries have less strict standards I would favor companies whose ingredients were all made in the USA over those companies who used say wheat gluten from China.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the delay in getting more information. Here is what I came across that might be helpful. Again, my deepest apologies for your loss.

http://www.iamspromise.com/

http://us.iams.com/iams/global/PGPetCareUpdateFAQ.htm

http://us.iams.com/iams/global/Final_Iams_Newspaper_3.30.07.pdf

And this was shared internally, but I couldn't find it on the web.
__________
"Testimony in the recent congressional hearings makes it clear that it was only because of Iams that Menu Foods even began to acknowledge its pet food contamination problem. Kudos to you for your high standards, evidenced in both your product and your ethics. As the truth begins to emerge about the whole sordid episode, I suspect you'll have the admiration of a grateful America. In the meantime, I just wanted to register one pet owner's thanks and admiration."

We are receiving an increasing number of consumer comments similar to this one. The word is out, and consumers are learning that P&G played an important role in identifying the issue, working with the FDA, and helping to solve the puzzle in the on-going pet food recall. As employees, you should know the whole story so you can help us tell it.

P&G Pet Care was the first pet food manufacturer to suspect health issues associated with Menu Foods’ cuts and gravy products. We were the first company to participate voluntarily in Menu Foods’ product recall. We were also the first to notify the American Veterinary Medical Association and American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Poison Control Center about the basis for the recall and our understanding of the reasons for kidney failure. Our scientists were the first to identify melamine, a chemical contaminant that has now been found in several processed vegetable proteins from China. In addition, we were the first to determine why this compound was causing a health problem in pets. We’ve shared all our information and learnings openly with the appropriate authorities and stakeholders to reduce the number of injuries suffered by pets.

.....

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Thank you for getting the information for me. It seems everyday we learn more about what is/was going on.

I just hope the people at Menu Foods are held accountable. I would think it would be hard for P&G and the other companies that did business with them to trust them after this fiasco. I know I will never trust another product made by Menu Foods.