Home made cat food and Sockie~Pooh


With the pet food recall list expanding every day I am terrified to feed my surviving cat any commercial cat food, so I have been trying the various cat food recipes on the web. He doesn't like chicken or beef so that automatically eliminates quit a few recipes but I found one for Cat Crackers containing tuna I though he might like.


He refused to eat it and I wound up giving him some of the dry cat food he wanted this morning. It seems the best I can do is make sure none of the commercial dry cat food I give him is on the recall list and check that it doesn't contain wheat gluten.


There are some people telling us we are "bad" for feeding our pets commercial pet food, or trying to 'sell' a particularly brand that they claim is "all natural" and safe. Bottom line if your cat won't eat home made cat food then you are wasting your time and money making it and putting your cats life at risk. It's very important that cats get the vitamins and nutrients that they need, cats will simply starve instead of eating something they don't like. I am trying to give him less dry cat food and tempt him with plain yogurt, shrimp, small amounts of tuna (due to mercury concerns) and salmon.


How are you & your pets coping with the pet food recall? Leave a comment and let me & Sockie~Pooh know.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have for a very long time not totally bought into the pet food hype of better nutrition/etc. I have a friend whose father was an old fashioned country vet, and he told me as a child that it was a lot of bunk, and just another industry to make money (he also predicted pet insurance in the future, and was right). For generations, dogs ate what we ate, and the pet food industry really only took off in the last twenty-five years. After this, it is too scary.

We keep dry on hand (locally made brand) , and the dogs eat a lot of what we eat. Meat cut up and pulled from bones, veggies, rice, pasta,etc. (You should see them go wild over the smell of cooking broccoli) We also give htem a daily vitamin, and are strict to not give them foods that are bad for them (chocolate,etc) They have lovely coats, no weight or health problems.

I hope you are able to find something Whiskers enjoys. My girlfriends cat loves homemade croutons, and she has had great success mixing them with a little meat and cheese.

Alicia said...

If you're looking for homemade diets, go to Balanceit.com. They have recipes that are created by board certified veterinary nutritionists. You can get a free recipe by typing the promo code "homemade" at the checkout.