This is a great sin, to be born with a head which is too quick. It is not good to be different from our brothers, but it is evil to be superior to them.
Scared yet?
At 15 you are sent to the Home of Vocations where you are told what job you will have. Equality 7-2521 was condemned to be a street sweeper. But he found an abandoned tunnel from the Unmentionable Times, discovered electricity and fell in love with Liberty 5-3000 (never mind that it is strictly forbidden to talk to members of the opposite sex).
He took his find to the Hall of Scholars where it was rejected and he was forced to flee into the Uncharted Forest to escape from being burned at the stake. Liberty 5-3000 follows him into the forest......................
We are using this book in our American Literature unit. First we will study Ayn Rand, and discuss how difficult it must have been to write a book in English, when her native tongue was Russian. Anthem was written in 1937, so we are also going to discuss what America was like during that time period. Thanks to the Ayn Rand Institute we also have a study guide and lesson plans for the book.
5 comments:
I love Ayn Rand. Anthem wasn't my favorite, but she makes her point pretty clear. And quickly. Fountainhead is one of my favorite books, ever. Actually, thanks for the reminder. I think I'll read it again!
I haven't read Fountainhead yet, it's patiently sitting on my shelf waiting for me to get to it. I need more reading time.
I loved Atlas Shrugged although I found it a hard book to read. I was actually surprised how fast I was able to read Anthem. I think Lord Epa will enjoy it.
I haven't read Rand's novels yet; I have been slogging my way through Leonard Peikoff's exposition of objectivism. (My dh pointed me to it...he is very interested in philosophy) It is an interesting read, especially since Rand represents a turn back towards classical reasoning after existentialism and its ilk.
My now 17yo son and I read Anthem together a few years ago...it really opened his eyes to the current political situation. Thanks for reminding me to revisit it with my 14 yo this summer!
Be sure to follow it up by listening to the musical version...2112 by Rush, best heard on headphones in the dark...
;-)
Thanks for the tip about the musical version, Patti. My youngest son loves music, so that will be a big + for him.
Rebecca, I enjoyed your blog. I couldn't figure out how to comment, but I enjoyed your post.
Post a Comment