Carnival of Homeschooling Censors Post

I am appalled that Homeschool Blogger choose to censor Eireann's post School's Out for Summer from her blog School of Thought. The post was on the topic of homeschooling and there was nothing objectionable in the post. Homeschool Blogger's objection The School of Thought blog didn't pass muster, as Eireann is an atheist, and Homeschool Blogger has to 'protect' their readers from unsuitable blogs.

Frankly I am upset that Henry let them get away with it. The Christian Fundies have been taking over the CoH for awhile now, even so I published every post submitted to me; even those submitted by Christian Fundies who had post that made me want to gag. Maybe it is time to start a secular CoH, if the Christian Fundies are free to censor unobjectionable post just because they don't like the religious/non-religious beliefs of the poster. Ironically enough the Carnival was entitled Southern Hospitality. They failed miserably at displaying any. If I had known Eireann's post had been deleted I wouldn't have linked to the Carnival that week.

I wonder if my post A Side Dish of Homeschooling, which I submitted to this weeks CoH will make it in there.

6 comments:

Dawn said...

I submitted a post on the Evolved Homeschooler Cafe Press stuff several weeks ago and never received a response nor saw my post in the COH. I thought it was a mistake at the time.

Now I wonder...

Anonymous said...

Alasandra,

Don't waste your energy on the COH. They edited out my post only after I got into a pissing contest with one of the fundie bloggers. She must have run to Momma Gena to have my post removed since the Carnival was hosted "on the co. porch."

Uck...the fundies can post all they want. I'm gonna turn up to read and dissect all of the sickening crap that they write about. Fun days ahead.

Dawn said...

I think I'm resolved to start making sure there's a liberal christian post submission to every COH from now on. Maybe lots of responses challenging 'christian' views in other submissions...You should get in on it with me Alasandra. You seem like the type that likes to stir up the manure pile. :)

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Hi Dawn,
I tend to do more posting in the winter. Right now I am spending lots of time outdoors. I need a lap top (which I would gripe about as I can't stand the small key board). But yes, those of us with differing views need to submit them. I know Henry never intended the CoH to turn into a Fundie Carnival.

I think I saw on the schedule that the Homeschool Cafe will be hosting in July, and I am scheduled to host again in January. I am thinking of an Ayn Rand literary theme for my carnival.

Unschooler and Dawn, if you have time I encourage you to host a CoH.

Unschooler I am looking forward to reading your post.

Anonymous said...

I suppose with a Carnival it's always up to the "publisher" to determine which entries will and will not be accepted. That said, I looked over the CoH's guidelines and find nothing indicating that non-Christian entries won't be accepted.

In fact, the guidelines state a large number of the readers will be from the general public. If you want people to return to your blog, it helps to be positive and entertaining.

If the requirement is Christianity -- or even a particular flavor of Christianity -- the guidelines should say so. Although a Christian myself, I'm not comfortable with such forms of discrimination and likewise find many of what you've called the "Fundie" homeschooling blogs rather nauseating.

Meg_L said...

I realize that it's been a month and all, and that hosts of COH have tried to deal with this problem, but I'm surprized that no one point you to the County Fair.

http://thecountryfair.homeschooljournal.net/

It's coming back next week. Think about checking it out.