One of T.H.E.M has a Fan

Stephanie (the homeschool mom who wants regulations, cause it's just too hard for her to pick out a Math textbook) has a fan.

7 comments:

Angela said...

Scary,...but I guess like minds think (or unthink in this case) alike.

BTW, congrats on teh camera. Have a blast with it!

Unknown said...

I left a big, ugly comment. Probably said too much, but...oh well.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Loved your comment Natalie!

Greg Laden said...

Alasandra: Are you always so mean spirited to people who have a different opinion than you do?

Unknown said...

That's a distraction technique.

Do you have something of substance you'd like to say, Greg?

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Only if their OPINION, involves taking away my RIGHTS.

Anonymous said...

Alright, this is from the California mom who had her kids in magnet schools, was the president of the PTA and has many degrees including the one I am currently working on. I know it was difficult to find my way without direction but regulation? There is a huge difference. I believe she is having difficulty differentiating between her book learning and her homeschooling. Additionally, please tell me how one has four children and is able to schedule as well as she says to give each one individual attention with a toddler on hip AND go to grad school. I am here to tell you grad school and homeschool and a toddler are not a cohesive mix. I don’t believe her. She sounds like the child welfare lady who says, “My child will NEVER….. so, I am taking your kids away until you can learn some parenting skills.” HMPH!! The love’s commercial says it all. GET REAL!!



I do understand her concern due to the extreme differences in homeschooling. Some parents believe girls should only have a 4th grade education because it is their duty to care for the home and family. Therefore, only the boys require an education but, not full highschool either, as they are only to support the family – not acquire a career. The range spans to families like Sandra who gear their schooling towards college admittance. Personally, my child’s learning guided by the California standards but that is my choice and I merely use it as a guide which, again, is my choice.



I also wonder if the editor’s goal was to find the poster child for homeschool regulation. The public is easily swayed. Using this gal as the face of homeschooling would definitely sway my opinion were I not “in the know.” She seems to be “normal” - unlike the typical view of a homeschool family.