Thursday Thirteen #20



Thirteen Things about Lilies




  1. Many plants that have “lily” as part of their common name (such as daylily or peace lily) are not “true” lilies. True lilies belong to the genus Lilium. They grow from bulbs made of fleshy, overlapping scales with no protective covering.



  2. When choosing lilies, consider plant height and bloom season as well as flower color.



  3. For best effect, plant lilies in groups of three or five identical bulbs.



  4. Never plant lilies where standing water collects after heavy rainfall. Well-drained soil is an absolute must.



  5. Deadhead flowers as they fade, by breaking them off carefully.



  6. Tiger Lilies have medicinal uses. They relieve congestion, and the nausea and vomiting of pregnancy.





  7. The white trumpet-shaped flowers of the Easter lily (Lilium longiflorum) have become the traditional time-honored symbol of beauty, hope and life during the Easter season. Potted flowering Easter lilies can be grown indoors and planted in the garden with the onset of warmer temperatures.



  8. We planted calla lilies in the Whiskers Memorial Butterfly Garden.

    pictures courtesy of Free Nature Pictures




  9. We also planted minature canna lilies in the Whiskers Memorial Butterfly Garden.


  10. Daylilies are rugged, adaptable, vigorous perennials that endure in a garden for many years with little or no care.

  11. Daylilies belong to the genus Hemerocallis and are not true lilies. This Greek word is made up of two parts: hemera meaning day and kallos meaning beauty.

  12. Daylilies are useful in the perennial flower border, planted in large masses, or as a ground cover on slopes, where they form a dense mat in just a few years.


  13. Visit The Cooks Thesaurus of Edible Flowers to discover which lilies are safe to eat.






5 comments:

Tink said...

Safe to eat? Hmm, okay... :) I love lilies, all flowers in fact. I just don´t like them in a vase to die there, I want to see them in nature!
Thanks for visiting my detective TT!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I like to buy potted plants so I can enjoy them for as long as possible inside or plant them outside.

I love wildflowers, no maintenance and loads of blooms.

Crystal said...

Daylilies aren't lilies! Interesting. :o)

I love them and calla lilies.

Homemom3 said...

My plants always get ran over by the yard guys that come through with the mowers. :( Now I knew about edible flowers but are their any recipes?
TT

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I have mostly seen them used on top of cakes for decorations and in some salads.