Chemicals from a methamphetamine dump exploded in the face of a 9-year-old boy, leaving him virtually blind in both eyes. "I just never dreamed this could happen," Mona Leissa Polk said as she cradled her son, Isaiah. "He's been so strong through this. He hasn't cried or even complained once. He's my hero."
Isaiah, along with three friends, 6-year-old Kaimen Lowery, 8-year-old Noel Jones and 9-year-old Wendell Williams were playing in the woods behind the Federal Emergency Management Agency trailer park they live in last week.
The family is without insurance. Polk said she has applied for Medicaid, but with medical bills already totaling more that $10,000 she's afraid it will not be enough.
Anyone wishing to assist the Polk family can visit any Hancock Bank and make a donation to the Isaiah Polk Benefit Fund.
Polk and Isaiah leave for Jackson today to explore the possibility of corneal transplants in an effort to save his vision.
"I want to be a doctor," Isaiah said. "And I've always loved science. Somehow, I won't let this stop me."
Reporter Cherie Ward can be reached at (228) 934-1442.
You can read the full story in The Mississippi Press.
No comments:
Post a Comment