List 8 historic US places that you would like to take your children or students to visit

The Educational Tour Marm challenges you to List 8 historic U. S. places that you would like to take your children or students to visit .


  1. The Liberty Bell

  2. Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

  3. Chancellorsville Battlefield

  4. The White House

  5. U. S. Capital

  6. Little Bighorn Battlefield

  7. The Alamo

  8. Emerald Mound

4 comments:

The Tour Marm said...

I hadn't heard of Emerald Mound! How fascinating!

Please send your list to the post. I'm starting to collect them!

Thanks!

The Tour Marm said...

Are you indeed in Biloxi?

How is it progressing?

I used to stay there with groups going to the river boats for gambling before going on to New Orleans. While they gambled, I visited the sights.

I also attended Jefferson Davis' church several times (the tour was in Biloxi on Sundays) but I heard that it was destroyed by Katrina.

Great Vietnamese food.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We have been to Nanih Waiya Mound and Cave in Philadelphia, MS
http://www.neshoba.org/parks.html

The park ranger we spoke with was very knowledgeable. The cave is very small you have to crawl through a tunnel into it. He allowed us to crawl in even though you aren't suppose to (he probably guessed correctly that we wouldn't get very far).

According to him the Choctaws were not very tall so the roof of the cave is only about 5 feet. They dug the cave on the banks of the river in order to hide from the Army when they were rounding them up to send them west.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I actually live North of Ocean Springs in a small community called Latimer.

I haven't been in Biloxi since May. I find it depressing. Tullis Manor is gone, there is NOTHING left. Mary Mahoney's was damaged but is back in business. Beauvoir was damaged but will be saved.
http://www.beauvoir.org/ it's hard to tell from the road how much damage was done to it. The Coliseum is fine, that's where my son's graduation was held.

I would love to try the Vietnamese food, alas the rest of my family isn't big on trying new cuisines. Can you suggest a restaurant?