Well like the title says the stories are weird, but very well written. Those who have a broad grasp of mythology, theology, and ancient history will enjoy them most. There are explanatory notes in the back for those of us whose Latin is rusty and may not remember the meaning of "An sint unquam daemones incubi et succubae, et an ex tali congressu proles nasci queat?" (Have there ever been demons, incubi and succubae, and from such a union can offspring be born?), or who need a little help recalling who a mythlogical character is, an obscure cult or with an esoteric history notation.
So far my favourite story is "The Cats of Ulthar", I am in the process of wading through "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath" (which I like because cats get to play a heroic role, but I am finding it difficult reading).
I have to thank my eldest son for introducing me to Lovecraft. I plan to use the book in our American Literature Class with Lord Epa this year, so I'll let you know what he thinks of it when we get to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment