At Home Sweet Homeschool Beckyboop explains how discrimination lead to her decision to homeschool

Beckyboop explains how racial discrimination in the public schools lead to her decision to homeschool in the post When I first made the decision to homeschool.

Then in May I got a letter, completely out of the blue, saying that my child needs to go to a reading program over the summer to keep up his skills and be ready for 2nd grade. Huh? His grades are fine and he is reading on target. Where did this come from? Some of you who know me, have heard the story, and know that this was the final straw that made me decide to homeschool. Recently I found out that those letters were sent to poor, minority students only.

OH YES. My son was on the reduced lunch program, and he is biracial. Therefore he received a form letter from the school for their special reading program. They are hoping to make themselves look good by improving the scores of minority students and appearing to be pro-active in solving the race performance gap. What I want to know, is how many students who are not on the free and reduced lunch program, and are not minority students were not invited to this program and should have been?

No comments: