The Dark Side of Public School Socialization

A 16-year-old boy charged with murdering his school principal testified Wednesday that he brought a shotgun and revolver to school not to kill the man, but to make him stop kids from teasing him.

2 comments:

The Tour Marm said...

I don't think that this should be put solely at the door of public school socialization:

A number of people failed this young man: he suffered from attention deficit disorder, was abused at home, and endured endless teasing at school while Klang and teachers (allegedly)looked the other way.

I'm not so sure the teachers and principal really looked the other way, but I imagine their hands were tied as to what they could do.

Why don't we start with the parents...

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

You are right of course he was failed by many, many people. Including his parents.

The title was inspired by the article "The Dark Side of Homeschooling" that painted all homeschool parents as child abusers, and all homeschooled kids as unsocialized monsters who wouldn't be able to get along with their better socialized public school peers.

I feel sorry for the boy, I think it was dreadful he was teased to the point he thought he needed to take a gun to school to make people listen to him.

I feel sorry for the principal who I am sure did all he could for the boy, the article at one point said he had befriended the boy. But as you stated his hands were probably tied as far as what he could and couldn't do.

I know when I was working at the public schools unless I actually saw an incident I couldn't punish a student for what so and so said he did even if other students backed so and so up.