How can I possibly prove it doesn’t exist? Do you expect me to get hold of — of all the pebbles in the world and test them? I mean, you could claim that anything’s real if the only basis for believing in it is that nobody’s proved it doesn’t exist.”
You can read the rest of the book review, The Boy Who Lived here.
4 comments:
Hmmm, that sounds familiar…
Well, that certainly doesn't take into account the Deep Meaningfulness of Other People's Faith. I mean, if someone really really truly believes in something, isn't it downright rude to suggest it mightn't exist, regardless of its obvious silliness?
I had intended to post something of this nature eventually but you beat me to it. Glad to see someone else was paying attention to HP.
I wonder if this is why all those silly HP banners don't want their children reading the book. Hidden atheism?
Did I mention that I love Hermoine?
Redmolly, I don't think she was trying to be rude (well, maybe she was, she was exasperated with Harry at the time). But I do think that no matter how meaningful someones faith is to them they have no right to force it on others, especially since they can't prove they are right. Of course we can't prove they are wrong either.
BTW: Everyone, the Resurrection Stone turned out to be real. So Hermione was wrong it did exist.
Post a Comment