Thursday Thirteen ~ The Mesoamerica Edition






Thirteen Things about Mesoamerica








  1. 1500 -1200 BC Olmecs build San Lorenzo.


  2. 1100 BC A second Olmec city is built at La Venta.


  3. c. 600-400 BC May build a living and ceremonial centre at Nakbe.


  4. c. 500BC Zapotecs build Monte Alban.


  5. AD 150 The Pyramid of the Sun is built a Teotihuacan.


  6. c. AD800 Murals painted at Bonampak.


  7. 1481 The Aztec Sun Stone is erected in Tenochtitlan.


  8. 1492 Spanish explorers land in the West INdies. In 1502 Christopher Columbus meets Maya traders in the Gulf of Honduras.


  9. 1502 Moctezuma II, the last independent Aztec ruler, becomes tlatoani in Tenochtitlan.


  10. 1521 Tenochtitlan falls to Cortes and his Spanish troops on 13 August after a siege of 93 days.


  11. c.1550 Members of the nobility among the Quiche, a group of southern Maya, secretly translate the Maya sacred book Popol Vuh ("Book of Advice") into the Roman alphabet in a bid to save it from the book burning zeal of Spanish monks.


  12. 1566 Bishop Diego de Landa completes his Report of Things of Yucantan


  13. 1703 Quiche speaking Franciscan friar Francisco Ximenez finds Popol Vuh and translates it into Spanish.





Credit The Lost History of Aztec & Maya by Charles Phillips. For anyone interested in Mesoamerican History I highly recommend this book.






11 comments:

Jenny said...

I absolutely love 13 Thursday lists like this...so much info and I love to learn new things! Thanks for this one!!

Sonny said...

That was an interesting one.
Thanks for sharing!

My list is up, too.
Please stop by!

Hugs and happy TT,
Sonny

Anonymous said...

Cool historical TT. I like short historical facts.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I am glad everyone enjoyed my TT.

Jeremy Lowe said...

I love history like this, it's such a shame that more people do not pay attention to this part of the Americas history. Happy TT

Cindy Swanson said...

It's always good to learn some history along with your TT! Mine is about Elvis today...

Robin said...

Those murals are beautiful, and the story of Popol Vuh would make a great suspense novel.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing more awareness to the rich history of Mesoamerica. While the Popul Vuh is certainly well-known, it's no longer considered representative of the Maya civilization's authentic beliefs due to the pervasive influence of Christian translators over the years.

For current events related to Mesoamerica in general and the Aztec civilization in particular, see www.aztecreconstructionism.com

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Caelum Rainieri,
Thank you for the link www.aztecreconstructionism.com

We are studying American History this semester, so I am sure I will make use of it.

Samantha & Mom said...

That's a great T13! We love history and especially this one! Cool! Thanks for stopping by.
Your FL furiends,

The Tour Marm said...

I truly enjoy TT's that teach me something! This was extraordinary.

Please check out mine - it's about the place where I was born. There is another posting showing photos, which are fun!