
Thirteen Things about Peridot
Peridot can be found in Egyptian jewellery from the early 2nd millennium B.C.. - The stones used at that time came from a deposit on a small volcanic island in the Red Sea, some 45 miles off the Egyptian coast at Aswan.
- The ancient Romans too were fond of this gemstone and esteemed its radiant green shine, which does not change even in artificial light. For that reason they nicknamed it the 'emerald of the evening'.
- Peridot is also found in Europe in medieval churches, where it adorns many a treasure, for example one of the shrines in Cologne Cathedral.
- This gemstone has no fewer than three names: 'peridot', 'chrysolite', from the Greek 'gold stone', and 'olivine', for the peridot is the gemstone form of the mineral olivine. In the gemstone trade it is called 'peridot', derived from the Greek word 'peridona', which means something like 'to give richness'.
- Peridot has a hardness of 6.5.
- Peridot is the anniversary gemstone for the 16th year of marriage.
- Peridot is used to help dreams become a reality.
- Legend has it that pirates favored peridot to protect them against evil. When the peridot was set in gold it also protected the wearer from terrors in the night.
- Peridot is the US State Gemstone of Nevada.
- Peridot is perhaps derived from the French word peritot which means unclear, probably due to the inclusions and cloudy nature of large stones. It could also be named from the Arabic word faridat which means gem. In either case, peridot has been mined as a gemstone for an estimated four thousand years or better, and is mentioned in the Bible under the Hebrew name of pitdah. Peridot gems along with other gems were probably used in the fabled Breastplates of the Jewish High Priest, artifacts that have never been found.
- Historical legend has it that peridot was the favorite gemstone of Cleopatra.
- Peridot Mesa, located on the San Carlos Apache Indian Reservation east of Globe in Gila County, is the most productive locality for peridot in the world.
|
12 comments:
This is a great list, I love peridot or at least the color of it.
I love the cool green gorgeousness that is peridot.
thats beautiful!!!!! Thanks for posting this!
I love peridot and wearing the color. Did you know that the Pope wears an amethyst ring, the stone of spirituality?
Thanks for the info Colleen, I didn't know that.
Amethyst is my birthstone.
Very interesting list! Thanks for sharing! Happy T13!
I've always loved peridots; such a beautiful color. I didn't realize that it had such a distinguished history. The pieces in the photograph are pretty amazing; I'd love to have a piece of it just for decoration...and to see some authentic Egyptian jewelry...
What an informative past, I like peridot a lot too!
Happy TT!
The peridot is my son's birthstone!! I love the color and it looks especially nice next to the emerald in my mother's ring!!
Very interesting list!!!
Happy TT
Jessica The Rock Chick
I have a giant peridot ring that is really lucky for me....I love it. Happy TT!
That's a beautiful stone, and I've never even heard of it. If it causes dreams to become reality, I need to get me one!! Thanks for a great list!
my sister's birthstone! i love it! great list, sorry i'm back so late!! :)
Post a Comment