After reading a post defending black teens for physically attacking a white teen I decided I would post on this subject.
First and foremost the black teens are in jail because they assaulted someone. How Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton can defend violence is beyond me. I don't care what your skin color is, you do not have the right to beat someone up, just because you don't like their behavior.
Walters said the suffering of the beating victim, Justin Barker, has been largely ignored. Barker was knocked unconscious, his face badly swollen and bloodied, though he was able to attend a school function that night.
"With all the emphasis on the defendant, the injury done to him and the serious threat to his existence has become a footnote," Walters said of Barker, who accompanied the prosecutor but declined to speak.
I don't see how any human being can defend the actions of the 'Jena six'. Before rushing to their defense maybe you should ask yourself how you would feel if it was your child they attacked.
Walters also said the reason he did not prosecute the students accused of hanging the nooses is because he could find no Louisiana law they could be charged with.
"I cannot overemphasize what a villainous act that was. The people that did it should be ashamed of what they unleashed on this town," Walters said.
So less clarify, since a whole host of people don't seem to get it. While no one condones the behavior of the students who hung the nooses in the tree they didn't break the law, that is why they were not prosecuted. They were suspended from school.
On the other hand the black teens physically assaulted someone (which is against the law), that is why they are in jail where they belong. The fact that a whole host of people are descending on Jena supporting a human being, being assaulted is appalling.
11 comments:
You find it so easy to admonish the actions of the 6 black students because you identify so strongly with the white student who was assaulted. I suppose this is a natural reaction because you are white and it is also likely that you are from an area similar to where this occurred. You seem content in having all the information that seems relevant to you: 1)A white student 2)A white attacked by black students. You have no interest in the other details such as the white student provoking and harassing the black student about being beaten by a group of white students the previous weekend. You don't hear too many white people condemning the placing of nooses in trees. It's dismissed as a "prank" or in "poor taste." This isn't all that different from spray painting swastikas on synagogues or burning crosses on peoples' lawns. The end result is always the same. It acts as a reminder to people that "it wasn't all that long ago, that we could do whatever we wanted to you and treat you as less than human." It acts to "put people in their place." This is one of the worst types of terrorism because it attacks peoples' spirit and ability to persevere. This is the goal of racism; to keep someone down through discouraging them from ever trying to achieve more. No one is condoning the assault, but kids fight in school all the time for all kinds of stupid reasons. If it had been two groups of white kids who disagreed on their favorite NASCAR driver, I'm sure we wouldn't be having this exchange. It's easy for you to vilify blacks, it's practically in your genetic code through decades of programing.
I don't care what color your skin is. You don't have the right to beat someone up because they said/did something you didn't like.
Well then, I'm sure you'll find it unfortunate that no one was arrested or prosecuted for the beating that took place the weekend before at the fair grounds. Disciplanary actions for fights that occur at school usually result in suspension or expulsion, not charges of attempted murder. Answer one thing for me. Does the crime fit the punishment? Should someone who beat someone else up be tried on a charge of attempted murder? Attempted murder carries the same penalty as murder, a maximum penalty of life in prison. One kid was tried as an adult when he was 16 when it happened. That's not right. Do you think that was a clerical error? No, they were intentionally railroading and please know that race was involved in that move. The 6 kids should have been punished because what they did was wrong, but the punishment didn't fit the crime.
Since I haven't read anything about a beating at the fair grounds I can't answer the question. If you provide a link to a reputable news source concerning the beating at the fair grounds I'll be happy to read it.
Apparently you missed the fact that justice is working, just fine in LA.
Mychal Bell, now 17, is the only one of the defendants to be tried. He was convicted of aggravated second-degree battery, but his conviction was tossed out last week by a state appeals court that said Bell, who was 16 at the time of the beating, could not be tried as an adult on that charge.
His conviction was tossed out.
This wasn't a fight between two boys. This was a gang of 6 boys beating up 1 boy. And only the 6 boys know IF they attended to kill their victim or just scare him. If heaven forbid he had died from the beating would you maintain that murder charges were uncalled for because he died as a result of a fight at school?
Which by the way brings up another point. I don't care IF you are black, white, yellow or red, you should be able to go to school without fear of being beaten up. Fights at school should not happen.
Why not try teaching all children that violence isn't the answer instead of defending the Jena 6 for their vicious attack on a fellow student.
You may have noticed that statement that I made about the 6 deserving to be punished. I think we are well beyond the point of being able to teach our own children that violence is not the answer. What credibility do we have in this society for that? Violence and ignorance run rampant. School yard fights used to happen and we're dismissed as "boys will be boys," until the boys started bringing guns to school. I don't want to get off on a tangent here but we're too quick to arm our young people with firearms as opposed to common sense and Christian love. I said it before and I'll say it again, the 6 were wrong for beating up the kid but the punishment didn't fit the crime. This whole sad story is filthy with racism and ugly intentions.
I honestly don't think this was a case of racism. There has been a stamped in recent times to try juveniles (whites as well as blacks) as adults. Which I believe is wrong. I never thought the Jena 6 should have been tried as adults. I don't think anyone under 18 should be tried as an adult regardless of the crime they commit. I do think they should be punished as juveniles for assault.
I find the attitude that boys will be boys appalling, I posted about it here.
http://alasandra2003.blogspot.com/2007/04/horseplay-on-bus-went-to-far.html
and here
http://homeschoolcafe.blogspot.com/search?q=george+county
My problem is that the victims injuries have largely been ignored or dismissed with a he deserved it or they were provoked.
I wonder how many impressionable teens of both races have come away with the idea that violence is OK if you were provoked thanks the the rally in support of the Jena 6.
I don't think anyone is saying that what they did was ok. The rally isn't an endorsement of their behavior. It is a response to the abuse of judicial authority by trying them as adults and inflating the charges. As far as the injuries that the guy got. He was out of the hospital that evening and at a school event. I'm not saying he didn't get hurt, but he didn't have any permanent injuries. What do you think of the nooses placed in the trees? I just want to know how that made you feel.
There is no doubt that the three students who hung the nooses in the tree, were wrong to do so. It is my understanding that they were punished by the school (which did take it seriously, they even cut down the tree to prevent further problems) and that the authorities did look into charging them; but didn't find a law they could be charged with. It is also my hope (probably a forlorn one) that their parents spoke with them and impressed upon them how wrong their actions were. Still hanging nooses from trees isn't the same as beating someone up.
Do you realize how it sounds when you and the news accounts say yes he was injured, but he was at a school function later that evening as if somehow that makes it OK. It would be tantamount to saying yes she was raped, but she went out that evening so it couldn't be that bad.
Until those at the rally acknowledge that a human being was beaten up for the color of his skin they have lost all integrity. You do realize if the Jena 6 had been white and the victim black they would have probably been charged with a hate crime. Violence is odious no matter who it is aimed at.
really don't get the impression that he wasn't beaten up because of the color of his skin. And I guess since neither of us were there, we'll never really know. What I do know is that placing of nooses in trees is more than just wrong. Maybe to you it's just a piece of rope that found it's way in a tree, but to some people it's a reminder that not too long ago you could kill someone without fear of arrest or prosecution. It wasn't that long ago. I think it's pretty sick that you'd equate that kid being beaten up to a rape. Being suspended for a few days is totally inadequate to punish them for what they did. They sent a message of terror. If a group of Black kids or Asian kids, or Jewish kids beat up another group of kids because they were different would be a hateful thing that should be punished.
Your assuming that the kids who hung the nooses in the tree realized the impact it would have. You said to some people it's a reminder that not too long ago you could kill someone without fear of arrest or prosecution.
Do you really think those 3 students(who are under 18)realized that? I doubt it. Hopefully it has been explained to them, but at the time of the incident I doubt that even occurred to them. And I think being suspended was the proper response, to what they probably viewed as a prank. I think the whole incident has been blown out of proportion.
Also everyone seems to be ignoring that the black teens had previous records and that is why the police came down so hard on them. Not because they were black, but because they have had trouble with them before.
I don't understand why you think being raped and being violently beaten are so different. They are both assaults, they are both ways in which the assailant makes the victim feel like they are at the mercy of their attacker. What is SICK is your insistence that the beating wasn't so bad since the boy was able to go to a school event that evening; so the Jena 6 shouldn't have been put in jail, they should have just been expelled or suspended from school according to you.
The Jena 6 did not have the right to beat the white teen and making light of his injuries does not make it right.
Hi Alansandra,
To get the whole story or what may be the whole story go to CNN. They are doing a special on it called "Judgement in Jena" The only thing I agree with you on is, they, whomever they are, shouldn't have beaten up the white boy, yes, there should be some type of punishment, but sending them away for 22 years initially was truly harsh. It was racially provoked from the beginning, it should have been stopped when the nooses were hung on the tree. Let's not forget the fact that it was a "white tree only". Lets also not forget that one of the black young men, 15 years old was hit over on the face with a beer bottle, kicked and punched by a 22 year old white guy, and in my opinion a beer bottle is more of a murder weapon than a tennis shoe, oh and the fact these young black men were approached by a armed white guy in a predominaetly black neighborhood at the corner store, they struggled to get the gun away from the guy in fear for their lives, finally disarmed the white guy, ran off, and they, black teens, were charged for theft, when they were only defending themselves. Five of the Jena six wasn't involved in the fight, and the only reason Michal Bell was charged is becuase of the one white student who also happens to be the student that hung the noose on the tree pointed him out. To me that's odd, if it's a school fight I'm sure their would have been more than one witness, right? But there is so much to this story it's crazy, but the truth will come out, Almost forgot the D.A. who said and I quote I can take away your lives with a "stroke of a pen"
Post a Comment