Would you like to sign a petition against NCAA Football?" Nadine Mendelsohn-Ziskind, a history student at the University of South Alabama, asks a fellow USA student as he makes his way to his evening class last Wednesday in the Humanities courtyard.
"They are going to charge you an extra $300 a year for it," she continues. "That amounts to an extra $1,200, and if you have student loans, the interest would make football even costlier."If implemented, the proposed football program will be accompanied by an athletic fee increase of $100 to $150 per semester based on full-time enrollment. Students not enrolled full time would pay less.
A group of students has been talking about starting an anti-football petition for several weeks. Nov. 14 they began collecting signatures."It is not that I am against football at South. I am just against the way they are doing it," Mendelsohn-Ziskind told The Vanguard. "If the alumni asked me to donate, I would give what I could. I just resent being forced to pay for it," she added.Mendelsohn-Ziskind is not alone in feeling this way.
USA freshman Matthew Peterson, who is helping to organize the anti-football petition drive, has repeatedly argued that it is not fair for other students, even a majority of other students, to "vote away the rest of the people's money."
Read the rest in the Vanguard
No comments:
Post a Comment