Mike Huckabee and Homeschoolers - The WHOLE truth. ~NOT

Prowling around the blogosphere I came across this piece of nonsense at Think Aware.

Let's not forget that Mike Huckabee has the endorsement of Michael Farris who heads up the Home School Legal Defense Association, our number one line of defense. I personally don't know any homeschooling families who are not members, and I am a member for life.


I am a homeschooler and I am NOT a member of the Home School Legal Defense Association (H$LDA) and I don't give a rip who Michael Farris endorses. It really irritates me when Fundamentalist Christian homeschoolers presume to speak for all homeschoolers.

9 comments:

JJ Ross said...

So intentionally insulated, so proudly ethnocentric -- quite an uneducated energy to be putting out into the world, especially as "defense" of education!

If you don't know a single person who isn't like yourself, how can you learn and grow? What can you hope to experience and contribute that's progress, for yourself OR society? All you can be is a drone. Might as well be in school or prison, marching in social lockstep. Or flattened in rows under granite and grass, going nowhere for eternity. May we rest in peace, because there's nothing else to live for.

This is the anthill-beehive thing again, yes? {Shudder}

Home education's real problem, what we actually need defense against imo, is THIS -- any form of communal, congregational groupthink (Church or School aren't opposites, just reflections of each other in a house of mirrors) where the individual's personal identity is subsumed by the Borg, for the sake of the Borg.
Resistance is futile . . .

Candy said...

I visited her blog thinking I would leave a comment about her insulation. Then I saw that she also links to Focus on the Family. Uck.

I couldn't bring myself to start. Too many words...too little time.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Loved the Borg analogy.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Too many words...too little time.

too close minded........it would have probably been a waste of time

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd join in. While I don't personally know any homeschoolers who are not members of HSLDA (in real life), I realize that many are not members. That having been said, most people in my life are NOT homeschooling families. It's sheer numbers, we're a minority and that's OKAY. I know many people who are not just like me, and I love people for their uniqueness an what they have to contribute. I also teach this to my children. One of the joys in homeschooling is truly being free to share our values with our children in our individual homes. As a fellow homeschooling family, I give you all due respect to raise and educate your family YOUR way. I've never met another hardworking, dedicated, homeschooling mother who thinks for a second they are doing something that isn't completely selfless and good for their children and their children's future.

I respect your viewpoints and opinions. Best wishes for your homeschool and family. Feel free to stop by anytime. I'm probably not the same person you might have assumed I am.

Sincerely,
-ThinkAware

P.S. I did enjoy the borg comment as well, as I am a huge sci-fi fan. I jokingly ask my husband if he's trying to get me excited when he wears his bluetooth for laughs! :)

Dawn said...

I have to say Thinkaware, I appreciate the tone of your response. :)

JJ Ross said...

That reminds me that Scott Somerville, formerly blogging HSLDA attorney, is a big sci-fan as well. He believes in the "collective consciousness" and we've had some interesting personal conversations about it. :)

But he left all that, to strike out on his own and ty to reach individual homeschooling dads where they really live, rather than through the law --

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Thinkaware, thank you for joining in, and like Dawn I appreciate the tone of your response.

Shana said...

What I find confusing is how HSLDA can endorse a candidate that is courting the NEA- a group that passed a resolution stating that homeschooling should not be allowed in our country - http://www.nea.org/annualmeeting/raaction/07candidates.html#huckabee%23huckabee_edwards

or who thinks that No Child Left Behind is good legislation- http://blog.thehill.com/2007/04/30/huckabee-backs-no-child-left-behind/