Peacefully homeschooling amid diversity

If The Homeschool Blog Awards haven't achieved anything else the acrimony caused by 'the rules' have proved how diverse a bunch we are. It's too bad that many of us are unable to recognize the validity of homeschool bloggers who hold differing views or beliefs then our own. Calling the awards The Homeschool Blog Awards implies that all homeschool blogs are welcome, perhaps they should find a more descriptive name for the award if they are going to limit it to a small circle of "G" rated blogs.

Some homeschoolers have "potty mouths", that doesn't mean their blog isn't a noteworthy homeschooling blog. Other homeschool bloggers have more interest then homeschooling and post on a wide variety of topics, it doesn't mean their post on homeschooling have any less value then someone who only post on homeschooling. By imposing a "G" only criteria for blogs nominated for The Homeschool Blog Awards the ladies who are running the awards are imposing an insidious brand of censorship. But hey since they are running the awards, it is their right to decide what blogs qualify.

Although it would be nice if we lived in a world were all homeschool bloggers were welcome. Where instead of demanding that all homeschool blogs be "G" rated we simply didn't read the blogs that didn't appeal to us, while recognizing that others might enjoy them and find them worthy of awards.

4 comments:

Angela said...

I am frustrated that the ladies didn't learn anything from last year's drama. While I am certain it is not done maliciously, it just shows a mentality of judgment against anyone not like them.

Even more sad is the angry parody's so many are doing against this...for in fact, they are guilty of the same mentality, just the other side.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I think you are right about it not being done maliciously. I really don't think they understand why someone would be angry at being excluded.

Dawn said...

I don't think they even understood how they excluded people and I don't think they will. They have a minset that they're not willing to examine or question. The way discussion has been deleted on the HBA blog shows that.

Even well-mannered questions about the rules were taken as attacks by the HBA team and never addressed. While some of the opposition may seem rude, well, when someone sticks their fingers in their ears sometimes yelling seems like the only way to make them hear you. Ad the HBA team certainly had their fingers in their ears.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I shall ignore them. So if you win a HBA don't expect recognition on this blog.

On the other hand if you win one of the fun awards that have cropped up in response, I just might link to it.