I had a nice time visiting with all the kin folk, I just wish my husband had chosen to spend Thanksgiving with me instead of with his Mother and Sister. And here is my number one tip for not being a horrible Mother-in-law.
- DO NOT INSIST YOUR SON HAS TO SPEND EVERY HOLIDAY WITH YOU! Your daughter-in-law would like to be able to spend some holidays with her family.
What makes this year particularly irksome was his Mother & Sister were invited to spend the holidays with my Mother's family, but MIL refused.
I am so tired of hearing how my family isn't a 'real' family, since I am an only child, and thus it isn't important for us to spend holidays together. My parents have been married to each other for over 45 years, by most definitions of a traditional family my family is more 'real' then her divorced dysfunctional family ever will be. I am especially sick and tired of her attitude that since my parents don't share the same last name as my children they shouldn't get to spend any holidays with them.
I am already dreading Christmas. THANKS TO MOTHER-IN-LAW, I HATE THE HOLIDAYS. I will be so glad when this holiday season is over. I don't know why every year I stupidly think that this year will be different and I'll actually get to enjoy the holidays. For 20 years holidays have been HELL, thanks to control freak MIL.
2 comments:
Problem here isn't only the demanding MIL, but the fact that your DH isn't respecting your family either. It's hard to label our husband's mistakes as their own, but they are grown men in every other sense. It was a wonderful day when I sat and calmly discussed this with my DH< and told him how much it hurt me that he valued his mother's wishes over mine, even when I was willing to compromise and she was being unreasonable. Maybe this would help you. Hugs!
Angela, you are so right, and thanks for the hugs (I needed them).
Post a Comment