Thirteen Things ~Citrine




Thirteen Things about Citrine





  1. The gemstone Citrine is the official birthstone for the month of November as adopted by the American National Association of Jewelers in 1912.


  2. Citrine is the accepted gem for the 13th and 17th wedding anniversary.


  3. Citrine, based on the French word "citron" refers to any quartz crystal or quartz cluster that has a yellow, or citrus color to it.


  4. Citrine is a variety of quartz ranging in colors of yellow, yellow-brown, orange, dark orange-brown, reddish-brown. Citrine crystals can form together with amethyst or smoky quartz to form a bi-colored quartz called ametrine.


  5. Most citrine comes from Brazil, but almost all of the Brazilian material is heat-treated amethyst.


  6. Natural citrine can also be found in the Ural Mountains of Russia, in Dauphine, France, and in Madagascar.


  7. Darker colors are considered more valuable, including the medium golden orange and dark sherry-colors.


  8. Citrine may be mistaken for the more expensive orangish-yellow topaz and, at times, may be sold as topaz by dishonest gemstone vendors.


  9. Citrine was carried as a good luck charm, probably because of it's sunny appearance. It was also supposed to prevent snakebite!


  10. Historically, the most expensive color of Citrine has been the deep vibrant orange shade called "Madeira" Citrine, named after the wine of the same name, currently this is out of fashion and the light bright lemony yellow citrine shades are preferred.


  11. If you leave citrine in direct sunlight for several months, it may fade.


  12. MOHS HARDNESS: 7 (a rather durable stone requiring normal care).


  13. National Geogrpahic site about Citrine (for kids).

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alasandra! Thanks for dropping by my blog. I remember going to one of the local markets here and they were selling bracelets made out of citrine. They told me t was supposed to have some kind of healing power. I know crystals can do that, but Ican't remember exactly what beneft citrine gave. Hmmm. anyway I ended up not buying the bracelet. :D It looked really pretty though!

Daisy said...

Yellow is a pretty color because it reminds me of sunshine. Thanks for telling us about citrine!

Tempest Knight said...

Ooooh, I love citrines! Thanks for the cool info. Happy T13!

Raggedy said...

That was very interesting!
Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
My TT is posted.
Have a wonderful day!
Happy TT'ing!
*^_^
(=':'=)
(")_ (")Š
Raggedy

Crimson Wife said...

Interesting, I always was under the impression that topaz was the birthstone for November. My mom's birthday is the 25th and my dad gave her a topaz bracelet one year.

Anonymous said...

I was born in November but I nevre heard of citrine before. Thank you for this interesting TT.

Anonymous said...

I loved this---I'm fascinated by gemstones. I have a beautiful ring upstairs in a red citrine from my childhood back in the Seventies. My parents gave it to me for my 18th birthday (an enormous, seventies style ring so big it covers my knuckle!) I haven't worn it in years--someday I was hoping to give it to my niece, so I'm hoping the red gems come back in style.

Tink said...

Thanks for visiting my black panther TT! I'm very late with my return visit, but I'm glad I did come. Interesting facts, I didn't know all of that!

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Glad you had a chance to drop by Tink. I understand completely about having too little time to spend in blog land.