Exclusivism = Bigotry
Unity~N~Diversity post on how Exclusivism = Bigotry. Sadly enough most of the Christian Homeschool Groups I know fit this description to a T, excluding those of differing beliefs from their groups and homeschool resources. Then many of these same Christians who exclude those with differing beliefs from their exclusive Christian groups flock to inclusive and secular groups and try to take them over, leaving homeschoolers with differing beliefs with few resources and little support.
Labels:
homeschooling
Hershey (black kitten), Oreo (black & white kitten), Yin (black), Yang (white with black spots), Slippy (gray tabby) , & Dogs Ladybug (collie) and Maize plus our Mom Sandra
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Your link in this post is broken. I found it, though.
http://unity-n-diversity.blogspot.com/2007/12/exclusivism-bigotry.html
Merry Christmas!
Candy
Thanks Candy, I fixed it.
Alasandra, if people who are Catholic, or Buddhist or Baptist or Wiccan,Jewish or Scientologist, Moslem or Mormon, vegetarian, attachment parenting, etc have a homeschool group that is exclusive to their religion or beliefs, I don't have a problem. There are practices inherent to the particular faiths and interests that are usually included in the activities. That's why a group has to be upfront about what the core beliefs are, so no one gets blindsided.
Maybe it's just human nature, to try and sort out and categorize?
Aine, excluding people is still a form of bigotry. It's a US v THEM mentality. But if the Christians want to have (and I am singling them out because they are the only ones I know that do so) their own exclusive group, that's fine.
What I object to is them joining my INCLUSIVE group and trying to take it over. And believe me our CORE BELIEFS were laid out upfront. They took the attitude that our policies didn't apply to them and when we reminded them they did they started screaming that we were ANTI-Christian, we were persecuting the Christians in our group and that they were being excluded. Why because we asked them to respond to prayer request directly to the person who requested prayer, instead of on the message board. This is the same request we make of all off topic (meaning non homeschool related) post.
Stupid question, I know, but does anyone know WHY any homeschool group really needs to be focused on religion at all anyway?
Sorry, that anonymous post was written by me, Adso of Melk (http://asdoofmelk.wordpress.com). Didn't mean to be the mystery poster!
Adso of Melk, I haven't got a clue. When I did belong to one of the local Christian groups they spent more time praying then discussing homeschool issues.
As a new homeschooler I found them of very little practical help.
Alasandra, there are homeschool support groups for Jews, for Muslims, for atheists. I know of several groups that are religious AND ethnicity centered.
I'm sorry that you have had such a negative experience. I'm sure that not all Christian homeschoolers are aggressive,pushy "screamers". Maybe personalities of all those involved in your particular group is what is coming into play here. Being rude, replying off topic and being boorish are traits I have found in all kinds of people, in all walks of life. ;o)
Anonymous, some homeschoolers feel that their faith is what is the basis for everything in their life, so their homeschooling is an extension of their faith.
When I indulge in the internet next year I hope to catch up on your blog, Alasandra, but in the meantime, I wish you well on your homeschooling journey.
Thanks, Aine.
Good post.
A provincial group has been, I fear, getting taken over by Christians. It was a secular and inclusive group but then decided a Christian moms group would make a great co-sponsor for their annual curriculum fair and the HSLDA would be a great guest to invite to the fair.
A lot of Christians don't see it happening because they aren't critical of themselves or fellow Christians. They don't understand how their actions change the focus of a group and exclude people. AND they're willing to take offence at any perceived plight, as you mentioned Alasandra and start whining about anti-christian bias.
As a christian, I want nothing to do with chrisitan groups.
You made a good point Dawn, I don't think many of the Christian members realized that they were monopolizing the message board with their religion with their prayer request and responses. Some one who was new to the group would wonder if we were a Christian Group that just allowed 'others' to join, instead of the truly INCLUSIVE group we are.
I too am a Christian, but as moderator I strove really hard to keep my post religiously neutral. Instead of prayer I offered support. This was enough for one member to decide I was a heathen.
Post a Comment