Thursday Thirteen ~December



Thirteen Things about December

  1. In Latin, decem means "ten". December was also the tenth month in the Roman calendar until a monthless winter period was divided between January and February.

  2. December's flower is the narcissus or holly.



  3. December's birthstones are turquoise, lapis lazuli, zircon, topaz (blue), or tanzanite.

  4. In Irish, December is called Mí na Nollaig, meaning "month of Christmas".

  5. In the old Japanese calendar, the month is called Shiwasu meaning "priests run"; it is named so because priests are busy making end of the year prayers and blessings.
  6. In the northern hemisphere, the Winter solstice is day of the year (near December 22) when the Sun is farthest south.
  7. On December 7, 1941, Japanese planes attacked the United States Naval Base at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii Territory killing more than 2,300 Americans.

  8. December 9th is my Mom's birthday.

  9. December 9th, 1990 - Solidarity union leader Lech Walesa is elected President of Poland.

  10. December 19th is Lord Epa's (my youngest son) birthday.
  11. December 19th, 1793 -Napoleon Bonaparte takes the French port of Toulon.

  12. December 19th, 1863 -In London, Frederick Walton patents a new floor covering called linoleum.

  13. December 25th, we celebrate Christmas.

Happy Holidays to everyone who reads my blog.


13 comments:

ellen b. said...

Fun TT! Dec. 6th is my 33rd wedding anniversary..

Nicholas said...

Thanks for that interesting list. I was surprised about linoleum. I had no idea it was that old.

Sandee said...

History and family history all rolled into one. Great job. Have a wonderful TT. :)

My Busy Life said...

Very interesting, happy holidays to you as well. I am up too.

SJ Reidhead said...

Dec 2 is my birthday.

The Pink FLamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Natalie said...

Thanks for the fun December facts! :)

My Thursday Thirteen is up too! :)

Daisy said...

I always feel smarter after I visit your TTs!

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing all those facts about December. :)

Open Grove Claudia said...

What fascinating facts! I've never thought even thought about the month of December. Thanks for sharing!

Happy TT.

DEHausfrau said...

Great job collecting all that information. Happy TT!

Shelly Kneupper Tucker said...

Happy birthday to your mom and your son! Fun information here. I wish I knew how to actually pronounce the Irish name for December (it's never said the way it reads to my eyes).
Wishing you a happy holiday.

This Eclectic Life
I do not like the new Blogger feature that makes me have to type all this code! It's inhospitable.

Anonymous said...

Wow, there are a lot of things there that I didn't know.

Happy TT!

-Jen
(http://savvyprchick.wordpress.com)

Tempest Knight said...

Great TT! Love the facts. *g*