"After much discussion, this council does not believe that homeschooling is beneficial to the local community. While this proposal is wonderful, we only wish that those talented and committed parents would instead focus their efforts to helping the public school system . "
The myth that 'homeschooling' is somehow harmful to public schools and therefore not beneficial to the community is one of the most detrimental to homeschoolers. That a church would use this nonsense to deny the use of facilities to homeschoolers is maddening. So I came up with some questions for them and all the other ignorant people out there that think homeschoolings isn't beneficial to the community.
- How do you think parents spending time with their kids harms the community?
- How do you think rearing well behaved and intelligent children harms the community?
- How do you think educating children harms the community?
- Do you really think the public schools want parental help (most of them do not, just ask a public school parent that wants to be involved/have input in their child's education)?
8 comments:
I saw that, too, and almost posted on it. It is insane, especially coming from a church. I couldn't help but wonder what the local school would say. If I understand correctly, a school cannot discriminate and would have to offer their space at the same rates they offer to others. Wouldn't that be a fun place to meet?
Dana
Principled Discovery
I've heard people use that logic before and it baffles me. How on earth could I help the school system? How on earth can a handful of parents hire more teachers, reduce the classroom sizes, build more buildings to teach them all, over through the state mandated curriculum, and reschedule the entire day to suit the needs of the students? Sounds like trying to stop the Titanic from sicking by using a bucket.
I wish I coudl say I am not still fuming about this, but I haven't been able to get over it. I would love to pose those questions to them, but I am not even given a forum with which to address them. Our local public schools are academically poor (on the state's watch list) and unsafe.
I think the truth lie more in that they are threatened by parents who are willing to do something FOR their kids instead of ignore the problems away.
Angela said
I think the truth lie more in that they are threatened by parents who are willing to do something FOR their kids instead of ignore the problems away.
That is so sad, and then you have those who believe that since you can't save all the students you shouldn't save your own children.
Well, I have always agreed with Margaret Mead who said, “Never underestimate the power of a few committed individuals to change the world; indeed, it is the only thing that ever has”.
And I do believe it is everyone's responsibility to help the community.
However, my priority is to raise MY children to the best of my ability. I (personally) cannot imagine how I could do that with them enrolled in school.
Hopefully the author will find a more suitable partnership elsewhere.
Wonder how many of those attending the church send their kids to private or parochial schools? I never understand why homeschoolers get so much heat for deciding against government-run schools but private/parochial school parents get a free pass. Very hypocritical IMHO...
Some people are just plain stupid. I can't think of anything better than that.
And coming from a church? Oy vey. That should win the world over, no?
I think a well thought out letter to the editor about how homeschooling benefits the community is in order!
Post a Comment