One of our favorite movies stars CATS, The AristoCats. The AristoCats was one of Mommy's favorite movies when she was little and she even had AristoCats soap. We thinks Artemisia acts a lot like Marie.
Our favorite cat themed movies
- The AristoCats
- The Incredible Journey. This movie only has ONE cat in it, but the two dog pals are pretty nice.
- Catwoman, she isn't a REAL CAT but we likes the movie anyway.
- The Pink Panther, again not a real cat but a good movie all the same.
Our favorite books about cats or that have cats as one of the main characters
- James Herriot's Cat Stories
- The Cats of Ulthar by H. P. Lovecraft
- Puss in Boots by Charles Perrault
- The Dark Elf Series by R. A. Salvatore (Guenhwyvar)
- T. S. Eliot’s Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats
- The Chronicles of Ynis Aielle by R.A. Salvatore (Desdemona)
Cats in Songs
- Everybody Wants to be a Cat
- The Siamese Cat Song
- The Cat Came Back
- I Tawt I Taw a Puddy Tat
- Stray Cat Strut.
- Honky Cat (OK, it's not about Cats but we loves the song)
- Cats, the musical by Andrew Lloyd Webber, was first shown in London, England in 1981. Based upon T. S. Eliot’s Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats the show features song after song about . . . Old Gumbie, Grizabella, Mungojerrie And Rumpelteazer, Skimbleshanks, Old Deuteronomy, Gus, Macavity, and Mr. Mistoffelees. All of these characters are, of course, . . . Cats.
- In Japan, there is the Maneki Neko, also referred to in English as the "good fortune" or "good luck" cat. It is usually a sitting cat with paw raised and bent. Another Japanese Legend with cats is from Nekomata, when a cat has 13 years of life, it grows another tail and can stand up and speak in a human language. Japanese Buddhists venerate cats after death, and the temple of Go-To-Ku-Ji in Tokyo is dedicated to them.
- Cats, known in ancient Egypt as the mau, played a large role in ancient Egyptian society. They were associated with the goddesses Isis and Bast.
- (BOO HISS) Pope Gregory IX declared the cat to be a "Diabolical Creature". Persons that kept cats were suspected of being witches, and were put to death along with their feline pet.
- Cats have been portrayed in the works of many great artists, including Leonardo da Vinci, Albrecht Durer, Paul Gauguin, Theodore Gericault, William Hogarth, Edouard Manet, and Pablo Picasso. Probably the best-known cat in the world is Felix the Cat, star of animated cartoon films. Other famous cartoon cats include Krazy Kat and Tom (of Tom and Jerry), both of which had mice for companions. Musicians such as Gioacchino Rossini and Maurice Ravel have also paid homage to the cat in compositions.
Everybody wants to be a cat,
because a cat's the only cat
who knows where it's at.
Everybody's pickin' up on that feline beat,
'cause everything else is obsolete.