AFA Versus Two & A Half Men

Apparently the AFA has no sense of humor, they are offended over Sheen's alternate lyrics sung to the the tune of "Joy to the World". According to the AFA he is bashing Christ, Christmas and Christians. Hmmmmmmmmmm could it be the AFA is a tad oversensitive?

To me this is much ado about nothing. If you don't appreciate Sheen's sense of humor, then don't watch the show. It's a comedy after all, you are suppose to find it amusing. Parody's of popular songs are nothing new. For example "Away with a Stranger" by Gary Main is a parody of "Away in a Manger" click here to read the alternate lyrics. Or He Fooled The World (another parody of Joy to the World) also by Gary Main If you like parodies visit Am I Right for more parodies. Warning if you are with the AFA you will find tads of material to be offended by.

This is the definition of parody

parody
n 1: a composition that imitates somebody's style in a humorous way [syn: lampoon, spoof, sendup, mockery, takeoff,burlesque, travesty, charade, pasquinade, put-on]

2: humorous or satirical mimicry [syn: mockery, takeoff]

v 1: make a spoof of; make fun of [syn: spoof]

2: make a parody of; "The students spoofed the teachers" [syn:spoof, burlesque]

Apparently the AFA finds a lot to be offended by this time of the year. They are still in a snit because stores are selling Holiday Trees, Having Holiday Sales, and wishing their customers Happy Holidays. Exactly how this hurts them or offends them is beyond me. If they want people to take them seriously maybe they shouldn't be offended so easily.

In the meantime lets try to have some Peace On Earth for the holiday season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the AFA knows they are ridiculous and irrelevant. They do this kind of stuff to 1) keep people’s attention on their mindless banter and impotent fury, and 2) work their sheeple into action by instilling a false sense of persecution. They are a political group who sold their souls to the GOP a long time ago. Maybe they started out with noble intentions, but surely they must know deep down that they are now agents of a secular political machine.

Oh, um . . . hello, by the way. I’ve been lurking on your blog for a few weeks now by RSS feed. I’m enjoying learning more about homeschooling from the source. I’ll admit to a somewhat jaded view of it, and although I’m not convinced of its merits just yet, you have certainly opened my eyes, taught me a thing or three, and made me seriously reconsider the issue.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

Nice to meet you Butch.

I am glad you are reconsidering the issue of homeschooling. While it isn't for everyone if the parents and kids really want to homeschool it's GREAT!

I actually never planned to homeschool, my kids started off in the public school system and due to various problems with their schools (mainly the school board)we decided to homeschool. The kids love/loved it (eldest started college full time at 16 - so I no longer homeschool him) and I love it.

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of the AFA or of Two and a Half Men. I did listen to the clip of the song you provided. That is not a parody. Parody is witty; the song is a juvenile, vulgar attempt at humor.

While I am not offended as a Christian by the song, I can see why people might be. This is, after all, a Christian hymn and to hear it sung with such lyrics could be offensive. I don't know why that would be hard for someone to understand, even if they don't find it offensive themselves. (Still, I thing the AFA should just ignore such nonsense.)

www.larknews.com is a Christian parody site if you are interested.