Finished Harry Potter

Can anyone explain how the sword of Gryffindor got back in the sorting hat when we last saw it in Griphook's hand?

3 comments:

Teacher of One said...

I think it goes back to Chamber of Secrets when "Only a true Gryffindor could have pulled that out of the hat".

JJ Ross said...

That's what Favorite Daughter says, too -- that it goes back to Chamber of Secrets. Both the Sorting Hat and the Sword are magical objects and have their own powers and rules, so the Sword can be pulled OUT of the hat by a true Gryffindor even without anyone having put it back IN the hat.

Maybe in a sense part of the Sword is always within the Hat? -- like the room of requirement is always within Hogwarts even when it isn't "there." Or the portraits that are always within their own picture world even as they move around from frame to frame? Something like that. :)

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

I need to go back and look in Chamber of Secrets and see what the powers and rules regarding the sword of Gryffindor are.

I just found it strange that Bill made a big deal of the fact that goblins consider the objects to belong to the people who made them and the last time we saw the sword the goblin Griphook had it, and I doubt he would have given it back willingly.

I love the fact that Neville killed the snake.