Thursday 13 ~ The Ruby Edition







Thirteen Things about Rubies











  1. Ruby is the birthstone for July



  2. Rubies are the red members of the corundum family of minerals. Corundum of any other color--blue, pink, yellow, and many others--is called sapphire.



  3. Natural ruby shades vary from light to dark red and rubies often have undertones.



  4. Rubies are rated at 9 on the Mohs' scale.



  5. Burmese rubies are considered among the most beautiful examples of the gemstone.



  6. Some translucent rubies cut into cabochons (smooth domes) produce a star with six rays that stretch across the domed surface.



  7. Corundum is the mineralogical name for aluminium oxide.



  8. The most desirable rubies are generally those with an intense red colour, and plenty of sparkle and life.



  9. Ruby jewellery can be cleaned using hot soapy water.



  10. Rubies have been mined for over five thousand years.



  11. Although it has a different name in every language, the English term “ruby” was derived from the Latin term rubeus, meaning red.



  12. Though similar in color to garnets and spinels, a true ruby can be discerned by its hexagonal crystal formations and chemical makeup.



  13. Among the multitude of legends and strange beliefs of ancient times, it was thought that the wearer of a ruby was blessed with health, wealth, wisdom and outstanding success in love. Furthermore, the wearer acquired the ability to live in peace with his or her enemies. In some places a ruby was even thought to confer invulnerability.





11 comments:

Unknown said...

What a cool list! Rubies are so lovely!

Lyn said...

Rubies are cool cool things! Lyn from Bloggin' Outloud

Nancy Lindquist-Liedel said...

Wonderful and informative list.

impwork said...

Very informative :-)

Anonymous said...

LOVE rubies. So purty.

Happy TT!

Janet said...

living at peace with your enemies is a GREAT thing! I'm going out to get a ruby NOW!

Suprina said...

Awesome list.
I love rubies!
Happy TT!

The Rock Chick said...

one of my favorite pieces of jewelry is a heart shaped ruby the hubby gave me one Valentine's day. I just love the color!!

I have a special TT today about everything happening on my blog on Saturday for Blogathon 2007! Hope you'll stop by!

Happy TT!
Jessica The Rock Chick

Tempest Knight said...

Even though ruby is the birthstone of my month, I'm more partial to green stones. :)

Erin Gordon said...

That's interesting! I never knew blue rubies were sapphires.

I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

My Ruby knowledge now also expands! (I love surfing TTs!) Thanks!